Admission to the Professional Teaching Certification Program
The UP Open University’s Professional Teaching Certification (PTC) program is a non-degree program designed for individuals who have completed a Bachelor’s degree in any field and who intend to teach at the secondary education level.
Program Schedule/Offering: Trimester
Admission Schedule: 1st, 2nd, and 3rd trimester of every academic year
Admission Exam: Not Applicable
Admission to PTC Guidelines:
(Reference: Clarifications on the Procedures for Admission to PTC document from the Faculty of Education)
- For new applicant, admission application may be approved based on the credentials of the applicant and the accomplishment of the admission requirements. Once approved, the student can enroll in the PTC courses offered in each term.
- Current students of UPOU programs need not apply to PTC if she or he wished to enroll in PTC courses. S/He can enroll in PTC courses as extra courses of her/his program in the University. However, her/his enrollment to the PTC courses should have a prior approval from both program chair of her/his degree program and the program coordinator of PTC.
- For applicant who is applying for PTC and another UPOU program, both applications can be processed. However, in a case where both applications are approved by the respective program admission committee, the student should choose which program s/he would pursue in the University. If s/he should choose to pursue PTC, s/he should be considered as non-degree student and should not be allowed to apply for a degree program in the University unless, she or he would sever her- or himself from the PTC program. Severing from the PTC program should be done through a clearance.
Admission Qualifications and Requirements:
To be admitted to the PTC program, the applicant must:
- have satisfied the program-specific requirements specified in the program’s information and curriculum.
- have submitted the complete documentary requirements for admission before the application deadline; and
- have completed the UPOU Distance Education (DE) Readiness Module. Link to the DERM will be emailed by admissions.
- Print copy of the signed application for admission form generated from the Online Application System.
- Photocopy of the Official Transcript of Records (OTR) for all degrees earned;
- Proof payment of application fee (non-refundable) amounting to PhP 500.00 for applicants based in the Philippines or USD 100.00 for applicants based abroad. Payment procedures are available in the Online Application System.
- Two pieces identical 2” x 2” photos and two pieces identical 1” x 1” photos, with your name and the program applied for printed at the back of the photos;
- Photocopy of NSO or PSA Birth Certificate;
- Photocopy of government-issued IDs with photo.
Step 1: Apply for admission and upload the admission requirements through the Online Application System. Monitor the progress of your application through the OAS.
Step 2: As soon as the online application is accomplished, mail the complete and valid admission documents to the address below:
The Admission Section
Office of the University Registrar
UP Open University
Los Baños, Laguna 4031
Refer to the UPOU Academic Calendar for the deadline for submission of application documents.
Step 3: Complete the DE Readiness Module (DERM). The link to the DERM will be emailed by admissions.
Step 4: Wait for an email from the OUR for the admission results. Results of the evaluation will be released after the evaluation of the PTC Admissions Committee and before the registration/enrollment period of the applied term.
Updated 26 April 2021
for the PTC Program
Academic Year 2023-2024
- 1st Trimester : 05 August 2023 (S)
- 2nd Trimester : 09 December 2023 (S)
- 3rd Trimester : 13 April 2024 (S)