Universal Access to Quality Tertiary Education Act of 2017 (Free Tuition)
The UP Open University is implementing RA No. 10931 known as the “Universal Access to Quality Tertiary Education Act of 2017” and its Implementing Rules and Regulations (IRR) which was approved and signed on 22 February 2018. UPOU will also implement the policies stipulated in the Guidelines to Implement the Grant of Free Tuition and Other School Fees in UP released through OVPAA and OVPPF Joint Memorandum No.5 on 30 July 2018.
Under these guidelines, the undergraduate students (AA, BAMS, BES) were evaluated for eligibility to the free tuition privilege. Tuition and other school fees (OSF) shall NOT be collected from Filipino undergraduate students EXCEPT for the following students:
- Students who have already attained a bachelor’s degree or comparable undergraduate degree from any higher education institution, whether public or private.
- Students who fail to comply with the admission and retention policies of the University.
- Students who fail to complete their bachelor’s degree or comparable undergraduate degree within a year after the period prescribed in the program.
- The prescribed period refers to the normal length of time to complete the requirements for graduation (e.g. 4 years for BAMS and BES, 2 years for AA).
- The expected duration to benefit from Free Tuition and OSF shall be the prescribed period of a student’s program plus one year (e.g. 4 years plus 1 for BAMS). The reckoning date for the expected duration shall be the semester/trimester when a student first enrolled in UP. Students who fail to complete their undergraduate degree program within the expected duration since they first enrolled in the University are not eligible for Free Tuition and OSF. These students will be assessed using the applicable tuition and OSF rates.
- Students who voluntarily opt out
Students with financial capacity may voluntarily opt out by paying tuition and other school fees by filling out the Voluntary Opt Out Form.
Students who are not eligible for Free tuition and OSF may apply for tuition subsidy and other forms of financial assistance offered by the University.
Eligible students will be tagged in the online registration system as exempted from paying tuition and other school fees.